International Medical Coordinating Services
Medical Access Japan uses its rich experience and Japan’s largest medical institution network to provide one-stop service to overseas patients wishing to receive medical examinations and treatment at medical institutions in Japan.
We are certified as an “Accredited Medical Travel Assistance Company.” We continuously improve the quality of our services to enable international patients to receive treatments in Japan in comfort (for more details about “Accredited Medical Travel Assistance Company certification,” please see this page).
We introduce medical institutions that match each patient’s individual requirements.
We provide full support for patients visiting Japan from the time they arrive until they return home.
We provide support for obtaining medical visas for patients and the people accompanying them.
Our Call Center is available 24 hours a day in English, Chinese and Russian for the duration of the patient’s stay in Japan.
We handle translation and interpreting for speakers of English, Chinese, Russian, and other languages.
We will pay medical institutions in Japan as a representative of the patients.
Patients outside Japan can get a second opinion from a Japanese medical institution.
We will question patients on their medical history and the treatment they require in Japan and then select and introduce suitable expert medical institutions. Once the medical institution has been decided, Medical Access Japan will liaise with said institution and make the necessary reservations on the patient’s behalf. In the event that patients find it difficult to visit Japan, Medical Access Japan will request details on their medical history and arrange for medical examinations to provide a second opinion by proxy on an outpatient basis.
- Translating the patient’s medical history and all inquiries with regard to the appropriate treatment with consulting doctors or medical institutions.
- Receiving treatment policies, quotations for expected costs, the required period of treatment, the schedule and other details from the relevant medical institution, which will then be passed on to the patient.
- Making reservations at the medical institution selected by the patient.
- Translating all documentation, including hospital guides, treatment descriptions, clinical passes, medical agreements, etc.
- Obtaining second opinion examinations by proxy.
Once the date of arrival in Japan has been decided, we will provide full support for all necessary arrangements in accordance with patients’ requirements, from preparing for their arrival in Japan until their return home.
- Airline Reservation Arrangements: We provide quotations and make reservations for all airline tickets in line with the start of treatment at medical institutions in Japan. Reservations can also be made for people accompanying patients.
- Accommodation Arrangements: We suggest, provide quotations and make reservations for hotel facilities that are conveniently located near the medical institution at which treatment is to be carried out. Reservations can also be made for people accompanying patients.
- Daily Necessities Rental: We rent out all types of daily necessities, such as cell phones and plug adapters.
- Sightseeing Arrangements: We suggest planned itineraries for people wishing to go sightseeing or to go on tours during their stay in Japan.
- Medical Transportation: Service Depending on the patient’s state of health, permission to fly may be required from airline companies, and healthcare professionals must be provided as escorts. Medical Access Japan’s experienced medical division will make all arrangements for medical transportation.
Medical visas (Visa for Medical Stay) are issued by foreign diplomatic missions to overseas patients who are scheduled to arrive in Japan for the purpose of receiving medical treatment and to the people who accompany them. In order to be granted a medical visa, it is first of all necessary to submit a [Certificate from a medical institution about the planned medical services and references from a guarantor,] issued by a registered guarantor. Medical Access Japan is a medical coordinator that has been granted the position of registered guarantor by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and officially listed on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. We are therefore able to provide full support for obtaining medical visas, including the issuance of references, for overseas patients who visit Japan for the purpose of receiving medical treatment.
* Visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for further details on obtaining medical visas.
Service Contents and Flow until Being Issued a Medical Stay Visa
- Medical Access Japan screens the reference papers based on the information, etc., received from the patient and any people accompanying the patient.
- A medical institution in Japan accepts the patient.
- Once the schedule for treatment has been decided, Medical Access Japan will send the [Certificate from a medical institution about the planned medical services and references from a guarantor] and all other required documents to the patient.
- The patient will then submit all documents provided by Medical Access Japan together with all other required documents to the Japanese Embassy or other qualified entity in their own country and apply for the issuance of a visa.（Visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for details on the documentation required for applying for medical visas.)
Points to Note:
- This service involves Medical Access Japan issuing reference documents for patients and people accompanying the patient as a registered guarantor; it does not guarantee that the medical visas applied for by the patient and accompany people will be issued.
- In some cases the screening carried out by Medical Access Japan may result in a decision that the patient is not eligible to receive support for obtaining the medical visa.
- In some cases it is necessary to pay the handling fee in advance for reference certification. The patient may also be asked to pay a guarantor deposit for the period during which they are scheduled to stay in Japan.
Our Call Center is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the English, Chinese and Russian to cope with all inquiries relating to problems and other issues that may arise during the patient’s stay in Japan.
- Interpreters: We can provide interpreters in English, Chinese, Russian and a wide range of other languages. Medical Access Japan cooperates in providing instructors and producing textbooks for the International Medical Interpreters Seminars held by the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies as a business concern certified by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and many interpreters who have completed this course and others who have wide-ranging experience in interpreting are registered with us.
- Translators: We can provide translators in English, Chinese, Russian and a wide range of other languages. Contact us for details on the languages available and the costs.
Many medical institutions in Japan will not accept the transfer of advance payments from overseas nations. This means that the patient is required to bring the money in cash, resulting in duty being charged on sums that exceed one million yen and the risk of theft, etc., so we recommend that you allow Medical Access Japan to make all payments to medical institutions in Japan as your representative. Medical Access Japan’s payment representation service entails the patient transferring the required sum to Medical Access Japan’s bank account from their own country before they arrive in Japan, and then Medical Access Japan taking care of all necessary payments during their stay in Japan. This enables patients to arrive in Japan without having to bring large sums of money with them.
Patients outside Japan can get a second opinion from a Japanese medical institution by sending their medical information to MAJ. There is no need for the patient or family members to come to Japan. Inquire with us to learn about fees and how to send your medical information.
A package including all services from 1 to 6 is available.
Services included in the full package:
- Consultations for selecting medical institutions
- Support for obtaining medical visas
- Accommodation and transportation arrangements (reservation services)
- Transportation to the airport (and/or hospital entrance procedures) *
- 8 hours of medical interpretation *
- 24-hour/365-day Call Center service
- Cell phone rental service
- Prepaid card (x1) (3,000 yen) *
- Transfer fees when returning the guarantor deposit
- Payment representation service
* Only applies on the first visit to Japan.
People arriving in Japan for the second and subsequent times on multiple-entry visas must apply separately.
Points to Note:
- Service fees differ depending on the treatment and length of stay.
- Some patients may be asked to pay a fidelity guarantee deposit for the services involved in providing support for obtaining medical visas.
Payment Methods and Exemption from Liability
- The package services provided by Medical Access Japan must be paid in advance (deposit). Inquiries are free of charge, but in some cases, patients will be asked to pay the cost of the prior screening to determine if they are eligible to receive the services or not.
- The services provided cover the arrangement of interpreters, support for obtaining medical visas and the translation of medical information, etc., for overseas patients wishing to receive medical treatment in Japan. They do not guarantee the success of the treatment, nor do they guarantee that a medical institution able to provide medical examinations and/or treatment can be introduced. Also, please note that Medical Access Japan cannot be held liable in any way for medical errors at medical institutions or traffic accidents, etc., that may occur. Patients are also advised to give deep consideration to coming to Japan and selecting a medical institution, and make sure that they make the final decisions themselves.
- The services provided are carried out under the understanding that the information provided by the patients and medical institutions is true and accurate. If the information submitted is incorrect, it may be impossible to determine treatment policies or different treatments to those originally scheduled may be required.
- Additional fees may become chargeable if the treatment and tests carried out after arrival in Japan reveal new illnesses or symptoms. It will be impossible to provide services if the additional fees are not paid.
- In the event of natural disasters, armed conflict or other types of force majeure incidents, it may be impossible to provide services or services may be restricted.
- Note that there may be cases in which certain periods of time are required before the services can be provided depending on circumstances prevalent at medical institutions, with communications, and with transportation facilities.